Login or Register

Welcome: Guest

Home >> Forum >> General Knowledge >> Post New QuestionBookmark and Share  

Why crocodiles swallow stones?

August 10, 2010   by: Kumaresh    Points :2   Category :General Knowledge    
Dear friends,

Do you know crocodiles swallow stones. Why they do so?

Author: kalyani           
Posted Date: 08/11/2010     Points: 2    

I think they swallow stones to help them in digesting food and also the stones add more weight to the body which enables them to dive deeper in water and stay submerged!

Also, the reason would be that the crocs cannot chew their food to small bits, they can only tear and swallow large pieces of food. The stones act as crusher to grind the food in their stomach.

"God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny. "
Author: Mathi           
Posted Date: 08/11/2010     Points: 1    

I think It is helps to prevent ulcer from its acetic liquid .

Author: abid areacode           
Posted Date: 08/13/2010     Points: 1    

I agree with Kalyani's reply regarding the digesion process.Some animals have some adaptation like this to digest the food they take in.

' Ideas don't always come when seated in the office '

Please Log In To post reply

Related Questions

Where are Crocodiles Found ?
Where are Crocodiles Found ?

answer pl

why do pangolins swallow insects whole.
why do pangolins swallow insects whole.

Latest Questions From the Same Category

Some known facts about Mugal emperor Akbar
Today I read these fact about Mugal emperor Akabr, I am sharing here these with all of you.
Akbar slept only 4.5 hours a day, 3 hours at midnight and rest in afternoon. He did not want to waste his precious life in sleeping and was workholic

After getting up Akbar would visit his pets stables everyday without fail to check on them. This angered his nobles and religious priests a lot.
Akbar would walk from Mathura- hunting grounds to Agra fort almost 60 Kms in few hours. His entourage could never walk back so fast and only one or two men were left with him when he reached Agra fort.
Akbar had food only once in day- he would inform one hour in advance at any time of day and they would prepare him food
Akbar gave up non veg after middle age and ate only veg and fruits in later years of his life
Akbar made marriage registration compulsory in his rule and girl minimum age was 14 and boy age 16 for marriage
Akbar banned first cousin marriages and also child marriage
At age of 19 once Akbar came across a tigress and 3 cubs in forest and he killed tigress with sword alone.
Akbar was both Turkish and Mongolian by father's ansectory and Persian on mother's side
Akbar regretted marrying many times and wrote that "Ideally a person should marry only once and second marriage only if he is childless". This was made law for lay persons in his reign. Akbar had 300 legal wives and 5000 cocubbines

How to expand one''s General Knowledge or Common Sense to deal with the practical situations of ife?
In school life we used to expand our General Knowledge by going through different types of books, current-affairs magazines and reading newspapers. However, we did so to score good marks in examinations or to excel in contests.

Now after passing out the schools, colleges and universities we find that the General Knowledge of real life is different from the academic life. For instance, if a small child comes to you and beg how would you react? Or, if you find RS 1000 note on the street how would you react?

In some such situations of life we do feel lacking common sense to react in quick time. May be as we begin to face such situations more and more in life we get habituated with it. Isn''t it?

Film Stars and Politics
Celebrities and especially Film stars make very inefficient and poor politicians since they have no real dedication and except for a few south Indian stars like MGR, NTR and Jaya Lalitha noone has really been able to make a mark as an able politician even in the Rajya Sabha

Scriptures and other classics...
There are so many old sriptures and classical books belonging to various religions and societies that have added on value and knowledge to us.Which among them did you find the most impressive ? My own choice is Mhabharat !

Illegal doingloading of songs
Almost 40 billion songs are downloaded illegally each yers

Top Performers     Top Contributors     Share and Earn     Terms of Service    Privacy Policy     Contact Us