Why do people worry? There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever...Mahatma Gandhi
There are some people who worry about every little thing that happens in their life or around them, so much so that it becomes a mania and they are stressed all the time. They also directly or indirectly add stress and anxiety to other family members and people they deal with on a daily basis because of this nature. We come across many such people in offices or other places who are either very stiff or indifferent or downright rude while dealing with us. This is partly due to the burden of worry they are carrying with them all the time which comes in the way of being all there or being fully aware of what they are doing .
I know of a colleague who used to worry about every little thing a few years ago and make everybody around her tense with her negative outlook and predictions . A severe comment from her mother made her realise that she was making everyone around her nervy and on the edge all the time. After that incident, she has analysed practically that life becomes more difficult and dull when she worries all the time and it is better to take things as they come.
We know that in life there are problems but worrying does not help instead it is advisable to carry on with our daily routine and face the problem when we come face to face with it. A person who constantly worries can never be happy or at peace with himself
I have realised that by doing this, meaning by stop worrying you become immune to most of your worries and anxities - You also start thinking in a more practical manner as to how to tackle the problem instead of simply worrying about it. You become more positive in your outlook...
One wonders, whether it really is worth wasting all that time on trivialities? or is it sometimes necessary to worry over things? If so where does one draw the line, how much worrying is acceptable and how much is too much ? Since one cannot do that, why even bother with it ?
The best way to go about it is to accept that there is a problem and there will be problems at every stage of life , so try to tackle it by getting to the root of the problem instead of just sitting and worrying about the problem.
1, Be clear headed
- Do not exaggerate your worries or underplay them, but be clear headed and understand all the stress points that cause worry and anxiety in your life. It is better to be clear about them rather than pretend they are not there .
2, Make a list
- Once you have accepted that there are worries in your life and that you need to tackle them, half the battle is won since you are doing something constructive. Start by making a list of all the things that worry you .
3, Try to find the cause
- Once your list is done, you need to analyse each issue and see what is the cause and how best to tackle it. Whether there is a easy solution or whether the matter requires more serious thought?
- Now that you know the cause, look at the issue or rather analyse the issue from all points of view. If another person is involved, look at it from his/her point of view as well.
5, Involve your family members
- Involving and taking help from our family members can prove to be very helpful since you get various view points and suggestions which would help you come to some course of action. When you have the support of your family , your anxiety level automatically comes down.
- There are some issues that may never have a ready solution, so, when that happens it is best to discuss and compromise if necessary instead of going on and on...It could be regarding any issue like dealing with teenaged children or a court case...
7, Divert your mind
- Getting over your worries is not an easy job since when one set of worries have been dealt with another lot takes their place and you are back to square one ! So , when we know it for a fact that worries are our constant companion , why not deal with them in a more positive manner. Like for example: taking up a hobby or reading a book or meditate when you can forget your worries for a short period of time at least!
8, Think of those who are less fortunate
- If we look around we can only see people with worries galore and some who have far too many of them - like they are poor, have family problems and so on...while compared to other people , your worries may not be as hopeless or bad as you tend to think.
It is a fact that we see many people worrying about little things also trying to involve everybody around them in their problem and expect others to do the same- worry like they do ! They are actually making life hell for themselves and definitely unpleasant for others. This is a very negative approach to life that takes you nowhere.
If one were to get to the bottom of the problem, one can easily come up with some solution or the other. Sometimes, the problems may be more our imagination or exaggerated in our minds than it actually is. If this trend continues, we may end up leading a stressful life with no solution .
A wiseman once said that worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it does not get you anywhere !
So, What we need is a clear analytical mind to face any kind of problem, thinking for a solution with a clear mind and acting upon it !