Login or Register
Laboratory Investigations which must be done During and Before Pregnancy
December 31, 2013 by:
Dr. Simran Kaur Points: 12
Detection of any abnormality or disease or disorder during and before pregnancy can be done with timely health checkups and with help of various laboratory investigations.
Pregnancy is a very vital human process occurring inside human body of a woman, which requires medical monitoring with regular health checkups and various laboratory tests to know whether direction of progress of pregnancy is good or some disease or abnormality is occurring there. Detection of any abnormality or disease or disorder during and before pregnancy can be done with timely health checkups and with help of various laboratory investigations. Timely detection of any disorder or disease or any abnormality during or before pregnancy help in their timely treatment and also help in giving direction to further treatment and also tell health status of mother and baby and also prognosis of pregnancy to healthy delivery or to abortion.
Now, various health checkups or laboratory investigations which are done during and before pregnancy are-
1. Ultrasound- trans-vaginal ultrasound is done to know foetal well being and also to detect any major abnormality or to know growth of foetus inside mother during pregnancy. Ultrasound Doppler test help in detecting whether foetus is getting adequate blood supply, nutrition and oxygen from mother.
2. Second category of test which need to be done in third month of pregnancy is Dual test, which helps in detecting various genetic abnormalities, if any there is occurring to foetus.
3. Blood pressure of mother should be timely checked before and during pregnancy to diagnose hypertension and also to treat it.
4. Haemoglobin test- should be done before and during pregnancy to detect anaemia.
5. Glucose tolerance test- should be done during, before and even after pregnancy to detect diabetes.
6. VDRL tests- of both parents should be done to detect if any sexually transmitted disease, anyone of the parents father or mother has, to prevent their passage to baby by timely starting treatment before pregnancy.
7. Thyroid profile tests- should be done before and during pregnancy to detect and treat thyroid abnormality of mother which can affect health of mother as well as baby.
8. Weight check- weight of mother should be checked periodically before and during pregnancy, so, that, it can be brought back to normal range if she is having either low or increased weight to ensure good health of mother and baby and also to ensure healthy delivery of baby.
9. Dental check up- should be done during and before pregnancy to detect any dental abnormalities of teeth, so, that their timely treatment can be started and they do not get passed to baby.
10. Renal function tests, blood tests and urine tests should be done before and during pregnancy to ensure good health of mother and baby and also to detect any abnormality in system, so their timely treatment can be started if any defect or abnormality is found.
11. Amniocentesis test- is done during pregnancy, only if there is higher risk is found for an abnormal baby on ultrasound or double marker tests.
12. Liver function tests, hormonal profile tests- should be done before and during pregnancy to timely detect abnormalities of respective systems and also to know current health status of mother and baby.
Log In to post comment
Latest Resources From The Same Category
Mouth Ulcer Disease
This article gives you some brief explanation about a disease called mouth ulcer. Easy Availability of These Facilities, have Made People house of Disease
Earlier, it was concluded by medical scientists that people get health deterioration, out of lack of health facilities. Keeping that in mind, they were provided with health facilities. But, now such shocking medical statistics, come forward; from which, medical scientists comes on conclusion that some health facilities, instead of solving health problems; have created much worse, new health problems. Avoid alcohol for a healthy life
Drinking alcohol is not good for our body. But the number of heavy drinkers are increasing day by day. This is an article which explains how intake of alcohol badly affect the people. Hyponatremia: a serious sodium deficiency
Hyponatremia is a silent but a serious diseases that occurs because of sodium deficiency. Here I explain the reasons, symptoms and preventing methods of this disease. Three categories of this disease is also given here. Top ten food for the health of women
Women are physically weak. They need healthy and nutrient food items in each stages of their life. This article explains about top ten healthy food items that are very necessary for women to live healthy.